First Friday in Sarajevo!

Today was a big day because as a team we submitted our second grant proposal this week! I supported the team by translating some parts and proof-reading others. Who knew all that peer editing from high school would come in handy :) I'm growing to love the people in the office more and more. It's very nice to start the day sharing some cream and BREAD with my coworkers. Always so much bread . . . with every meal.

After work my coworkers and I all piled into my boss' car and she drove us to her house for Iftar that she had prepared (Iftar is the meal at which Muslims break fast during the month of Ramadan)! What a beautiful home she had, and I was so grateful to be invited as a friend. Not only was the company and home fabulous, but wow the food was "ukusna" (delicious)! Seida, my boss, cooked dolma and Sara and it was amazing. Dolma is peppers stuffed with meat and other spices while sarma is meat and spices rolled in kale leaves - they look like the middle eastern dish with grape leaves.

We also ate BREAD, this cream sauce with chopped green onions in it, and this cheese sauce kind of like fondue - wow. I ate so well and I still feel it in my stomach several hours later. It was great because we also had the chance to meet Seida's sisters - girl power!

After dinner we moved to her living room and had some Bosnian coffee. I know it is traditional but I really cannot enjoy this coffee because it is so strong. Keep in mind that I don't even like American coffee which is watered down, so if you like coffee you will likely enjoy the coffee here. I've been told that one must drink Bosnian coffee by taking the foam off the top of the pot and then placing it in your cup and pouring the coffee over the foam. If it is too bitter you are supposed to dip a sugar cube partially in the coffee, then bit off a piece followed by a sip of coffee. It is like a ritual!



Seida made this incredible cake with berries, orange, and chocolate that melted in my mouth. I said "Mashallah!" which is a way of saying God Bless in Arabic! We proceeded to listen to Bosnian music by the Dubioza Kolektiv and we danced of course! This was a good evening for food, company, music, and just for gaining a better understanding of Bosnian life. I am so grateful for this opportunity this summer :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Home Sarajevo

Surfing the USA < Couch Surfing the World

Telling Stories